The Aches and Pains of Camera Gear


 Lets all agree, camera gear can get heavy and of course the more you accumulate the more it weighs, and well age can play a little factor, (Ok maybe a little more), as much as we don't want to admit it. So, that is what this blog is about, gear weight and how I (we) can mitigate it.

It seems the obvious choice is to get lighter gear and yes, that is what I looked at first. Our choice of lenses can be the biggest weight savings, as professional 2.8 lenses can weight a whole lot more than prosumer type lenses. Along with that, Prosumer style lens usually out weigh entry level lenses most of the time. The same can be said with camera bodies, the higher end the body, the more it usually weighs. So the idea is to strike a balance with your gear.

Then there are all the accessories we choose to carry, depending on the type of photography you choose, will dictate how much extra gear you will be carrying. It could be carrying just a tripod and some filters to a full blown portrait (lights/reflectors/stands/etc), but for this blog, we'll stick to the landscape style.

For me, during the last few years, my back started to notice, just how heavy my gears was. Now, as it goes, I really didn't carry all that much, usually 2 - 3 lenses, a couple of filters, remote shutter trigger, and some lens cleanings stuff. As I turned 65, and my back began really giving me fit's, the more weight I carry, the more it hates me! I have had back issues for a very long time, but I always felt young enough to power through and not worry about it, again until the last few years. Ok, enough wining about age and my aches and pains....lol


So, what did I do, to begin mitigating these issues? First, thing was a new camera bag (wanted/needed a new one anyway). So I found the lightest, rear opening backpack with a hip belt I could. Now for me, a hip belt is essential, it distributes the weight from you back to your hips, thus removing the downward pressure and associated pain that can go with it. You can pay through the nose for the highest quality ones, or you can also find good quality ones at a much more reasonable price. I was lucky and found just what I was looking for at a fraction of the price as the big names.  At less than 5 pounds (sure doesn't seem that heavy) it fits the bill and has been serving me well for several years now. I also settled on a small lightweight sling style bag for short outings, which weighs in at 9 pounds fully loaded.

Next was camera gear. I decided it was time for a new camera, I had been using a Nikon D810 DSLR, and had been wanting to make the switch to mirrorless. When I decided to make the switch, it really wasn't about weight, (however that was factored in), it was more about the features (IBIS, live view in the viewfinder and live view in general), and of course a lighter body was a bonus. I also pared down my lenses, from 3 to 2, doing away with my ultra wide angle and deciding 24mm was all I really needed. I have always used prosumer lens, so that didn't change. I currently use the Nikon Z, 24-70 F4 and the Nikon 70-300 4.5-5.6 G series along with the F2Z adapter.

Tripods. Being mainly a landscape kinda guy, tripods are an essential piece of gear. I currently have two, a full size, aluminum and a travel size aluminum. This is where I have not downsized to lighter,  carbon fiber, but it is on the horizon and that will help make a drastic difference. But for now, if I'm carrying it for a long distance, it's the travel tripod. Short and close to the car, it's the full size one. 

Now, one thing that didn't change is, my older camera gear that I have for specifics uses and looks. These are older DSLRs and along with the older lenses, are much heavier, but create a different look (somewhere between film and and modern digital. I use these for when I want a retro look (old buildings and such) and I'm usually not far from my vehicle.

The final part of the equation is, limiting how far I hike/walk to get photos, along with weather and terrain. Living here along the North Florida Coast, the beach plays a big role in my photography, however, walking in beach sand also takes it's toll. I have found, I don't have to walk miles in the sand, rather, I now park closer to where I want to be, walk down the road and cut down to the beach at established paths. I can also shoot from those paths/openings in the dunes and make it look as if your not anywhere close to civilization. Our weather also plays an important part, I limit my time out in the Dog Days of Summer, the 95+ heat and high humidity really takes it toll the older I get, so shorter outings are the key. But, for the most part, I find myself shooting pretty close to, or within a short walk to what I want to shoot.

One last Item, is physical fitness, of course hit helps to keep yourself in some sort of shape, however we are all human and some parts just wear out, no matter what we do (so I have found out lately). 5 surgeries in the last couple years and I felt I was in pretty darn good shape.

So, if you feel Father Time creeping up on you, or for any other reasons find your gear weighing you down. Look at lightening your load and make your passion a little less heavy and a little more enjoyable..

So, Until Next Time...............................


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Photographic Favorites (Part 2)

A Little About Me

Art in Destruction