Getting Outside Your Comfort Zone


 Getting outside your comfort zone sometimes, can be quite the experience, both for learning and growing as a photographer. A couple weeks ago, a fellow photographer friend, (Walt Ebbert Photography) told me about a Night Shooting Seminar and wanted to know if I'd be interested. After a few minutes thought, I said sure, why not. I checked out the workshop details, and it seemed as if it was pretty much going to be a downtown night photo shoot (old buildings, night scenes, etc). It said something about a model being available, but I didn't think too much about that part. 


I also learned, the instructor was pretty famous in the fashion /portrait/commercial photography world, so that was pretty cool. We arrived at the workshop and were introduced to our instructor and model for the evening and that's when I learned, it was going to be more of a model shoot amongst the old downtown area, which is way out of my wheel house. We were also going to do this night shoot without use if a flash. Well, now things are getting interesting and way outside my wheelhouse, luckily, our instructor was really good and made the shoot pretty stress free and easy to do. 


His main goal, was to get us at ease shooting at a very high ISO without a flash, resulting in a grainy, gritty look, fitting for the subject manner at hand. Our model, was dressed as you can see in goth type attire and makeup, combined with the old buildings and scenes, made for some very cool and interesting shots. 


Now, I must say, I actually enjoyed the whole portrait experience and wouldn't mind doing more of it. Of course it helped having a professional model who knows all the right moves and poses. At the same time, I think with a little direction your average person could pull off  close to the same thing, if they wanted a similar looking portrait session. Good thing we live close to Pensacola, with much the same style architecture, should the opportunity arise.


 If this looks like something you maybe interested in, I would highly recommend looking up The Lightroom in Panama City, FL. Here is a link to their website. Lightroom Website 


All in all it was fun experiencing a new style of shooting and for me, getting outside my comfort zone was easier than I thought (great instruction helped), so dive into something new, you never know, you just my like it!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Photographic Favorites (Part 2)

A Little About Me

Art in Destruction